Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

parlez-vous francais?

IMG_3230

One of the most frequent questions I get asked is how am I going with the French language. The short answer is OK. I'm going OK, but I thought I would take the time to share a little about my experiences so far, living in a country where you don't quite speak the language very well (or much at all).

First up, it's awkward. It's so hard meeting new people, who don't speak any english, and Morgan tells them I don't speak much french. I stand there awkwardly smiling and not really knowing what to say or do. I know people think I am a little strange. Especially Morgan's two grandmothers.

Secondly, it's hard. As someone who is always keen to share my opinion and likes to talk, not being able to communicate is definitely a learning curb for me. Its hard to sit there and listen to a conversation only being able to understand every 5th or 6th word. You can't give much input or contribute very much and when you do you talk like a 2 year old. Its a very grounding experience.

Thirdly, its a real challenge. Its real tough learning all these thousands and thousands of new words I am bombarded with each day. Its tough trying to construct a sentence in a new way and communicate what you mean in a whole new language. Sometimes its really overwhelming.

But, as awkward, hard and overwhelming it is, I am ready for that challenge. I am trying my hardest to communicate when I can, to learn new words and ask questions. And soon, I will be able to speak french.

One thing I do have to say, is this would not be possible without the help of Morgan. He really is my strength right now. Some days I do get frustrated and just wish I knew what the hell was going on, some days I feel alone, but Morgan has been incredible at helping me understand and I cherish our times alone together where we can communicate freely.

I am also so grateful right now for the internet. It has been so lovely to be able to use this platform to stay in touch with friends and family all over the world, and is an outlet I value so much. So thanks for hanging around, thanks for your comments, and thanks for all your encouragement.
You are so appreciated.
-kim

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello hello... we love hearing your thoughts... so tell us what you think right here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...